بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Our Teacher began with praising Allaah Ta’Aalaa and the salaat and salaam on The Messenger of Allaah, Muhammad (sallallaahu`alayhi wasallam) and on his house of kin and companions and all those who follow them exactly until the Last Day.
‘Billaahi’ is Jarr
- Basically what he is saying here is that the baa is a harf – Therefore it is a word indicating a meaning not in itself, that is: the meaning of it becomes clear not in itself but in another word
- For Example في is a harf which is equivalent to ‘in’ in English- If one just says في it is a word and its meaning is only clear/shown in another word. So here you have to say: ‘ in ‘something’ – And that word will embrace the meaning of في – في المدينةِ , the word Al Madeenah determined/targeted the meaning of ‘fee’
- The definition of Harf is a word which does not give a meaning in itself
- ب is Harfu Jarr- And what it does is that it makes the word after it majroor- And what Jarr means is pulling or dragging, and they are called that because they drag the action understood from an intransitive fi’l to an object (supposively)
- The fi’l is of two types:
1) Intransitive: is a verb having a doer, meaning it is a verb which doesn’t pass to something else, in other words it has a doer and nothing receiving that action- And this is called Laazim لازم
2) Transitive: s a verb having a doer and something receiving that action, meaning an action passing to something else (i.e. object)- And this is called Muta’addin مُتعدٍ
- For Example:
– ‘laughing’ – It only takes a doer and no receiver (it doesn’t have something receiving that act of laughing)- So this laughing is Laazim (intransitive)-
– ‘sitting’- It has only a doer and no receiver (Laazim)- When you say: I sat the chair جَلَستُ الكُرسِي – you have to use ‘on’ to make the sentence correct, He sat ‘on’ the chair جَلَستُ عَلَى الكُرسِيِّ– So here the meaning of ‘on’ it is shown ‘on the chair’ – ‘Alaa is harfu Jarr because it dragged the action of sitting to the chair.
– ‘going’- It has only a doer and no receiver (Laazim)
But you can use a preposition for the Laazim by saying: I laughed at… or I sat on…I went to – And when you use it (preposition) you know that the verb is Laazim
‘hitting’- Has to have a hitter and someone hit (a doer and a receiver)
(Advice from the ustaadh: ‘This knowledge is a sea, you must form a boat before going deep- because when you go deep without a boat you will drown’- So slowly slowly, build the foundation first-
Use the terms that the teacher gives you, because he knows what is best that gets you closest to the meaning)
- They are also called Hurooful Jarr because they give the Ism (noun) after them the ruling of Jarr
- Hurooful Jarr are 21 but usely in the beginning they give you only 12 – مِن , إِلى ,عَن, عَلى , فِي, رُبَّ , الباء ,الكاف ,اللام, وحروف القسم الواو, الباء, التاء
- All 20 are mentioned in a poem and some added لولا and that makes 21
هَاكَ حُرُوفَ الجَرِّ وَهىَ مِن إلَى # حَتَّى خَلا حَاشاَ عَدَا فِى عَن علَى
مُذ مُنذُ رُبِّ اللامُ كي وَاوٌ وَتا # وَالكافُ وَالبَا وَلَعلَّ وَمَتى
- Today we are only taking الباء– And albaa- has meanings:
- Crossing (and this one is the most common)- for Examples: مَرَرتُ بِالوَادِ – مَرَرتُ بِالمَسجِدِ
(I passed by the Masjid)
- Reasoning- for Example like in Allaah’s saying:
ذَٰلِكَ بِمَا قَدَّمَتْ أَيْدِيكُمْ وَأَنَّ اللَّـهَ لَيْسَ بِظَلَّامٍ لِّلْعَبِيدِ – 3:182
This is because of that (evil) which your hands have sent before you. And certainly, Allah is never unjust to (His) slaves.
ذَٰلِكَ بِمَا قَدَّمَتْ يَدَاكَ وَأَنَّ اللَّـهَ لَيْسَ بِظَلَّامٍ لِّلْعَبِيدِ – 22:10
That is because of what your hands have sent forth, and verily, Allah is not unjust to (His) slaves.
- In – for Example like in Allaah’s saying:
إِذْ نَادَاهُ رَبُّهُ بِالْوَادِ الْمُقَدَّسِ طُوًى -79:16
When his Lord called him in the sacred valley of Tuwa,
- Aid- for Example like in Allaah’s saying (helping with the aid of…):
قَالَ مَا مَكَّنِّي فِيهِ رَبِّي خَيْرٌ فَأَعِينُونِي بِقُوَّةٍ أَجْعَلْ بَيْنَكُمْ وَبَيْنَهُمْ رَدْمًا – 18:95
He said: “That (wealth, authority and power) in which my Lord had established me is better (than your tribute). So help me with strength (of men), I will erect between you and them a barrier.
- Accompanying- for Example like in Allaah’s saying:
اذْهَبْ أَنتَ وَأَخُوكَ بِآيَاتِي وَلَا تَنِيَا فِي ذِكْرِي – 20:42
“Go you and your brother with My Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), and do not, you both, slacken and become weak in My Remembrance.
- Exchanging- for Example like in Allaah’s saying:
أُولَـٰئِكَ الَّذِينَ اشْتَرَوُا الْحَيَاةَ الدُّنْيَا بِالْآخِرَةِ … – 2:86
Those are they who have bought the life of this world at the price of the Hereafter.
اشْتَرَوْا بِآيَاتِ اللَّـهِ ثَمَنًا قَلِيلًا فَصَدُّوا عَن سَبِيلِهِ …- 9:9
They have purchased with the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah a little gain, and they hindered men from His Way
وَلَا تَتَبَدَّلُوا الْخَبِيثَ بِالطَّيِّبِ … – 4:2
… and do not exchange (your) bad things for (their) good ones….
Today we have taken that there are two forms of words, Muta’addin and Laazim- And that hurooful Jarr cross the Laazim to the receiver/object of the action- And the first harful jarr meanings of the baa.
~~~END of CLASS ~~~
Alhamdulillaah wassalaatu wassalaamu ‘alaa Rasoolillaah. Should anyone notice a mistake in the notes, kindly mention it in the comment section below, Baarakallaahu feekum!
SCREEN SHOTS (click the image to view at %100)